Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Cesar, Hugo and Fox News

I admit, I’m a news junkie; I watch all of the cable news channels, for a little while at least, every day. And I will admit that even the much-maligned Fox News has some decent correspondents on their roster. One thing I can’t stomach though is Fox’s painfully amateurish morning show “Fox & Friends”.

That’s why I missed this doozy from Fox morning host Steve Doocy. He was talking with Fox analyst Peter Johnson about the newly-elected leftist government in El Salvador, when Johnson said the new government has “strong ties to Cesar Chavez”, a claim that Doocy backed up after getting in a dig at CNN’s Wolf Blitzer. Of course you would assume that host Doocy and analyst Johnson were talking about Venezuela’s President Hugo Chavez, not California immigrant labor leader Cesar Chavez…

It all reminded me of a scene from The Simpsons when the ghost of Cesar Chavez appeared to Homer. Homer asked him “then why do you look like Cesar Romero? [The actor who played The Joker in the 60’s-era Batman TV series]. The Ghost replied: “Because you don’t know what Cesar Chavez looks like.”

I don’t expect a morning chat show host to know the leaders of every country in the world, but if you’re going to try to insult someone, you ought to get the names right.
Sphere: Related Content

No comments: